In our experience, most business owners haven’t sat down and worked out what they actually want, despite many thinking that they really do know.
The journey to a successful transition is the last ‘crowning’ achievement for many business owners and there are many complex issues to manage along the way. A structured process is the key to preparing for transition. The level of planning involved requires considerable experience and skill, because planning is the key to your transition success. All the research says that buyers will actually pay more for a business that has a formal transition plan. If you’re considering exiting your business in three years to five years, developing and implementing a transition plan will help your business grow, increasing both annual returns and business value.
STRATEGIES FOR TRANSITION
As a business owner, when should you start planning for transition – you might have even heard it called business succession planning? Well, it’s never too early! Like any form of wealth creation, the more time you have to build your assets the more wealth you can accumulate. All the research says that buyers will actually pay more for a business that has a formal transition plan.
HOW ROCG HELPS YOU
- To Identify your goals on exit (for the business itself, personally and in financial terms)
- To Identify the barriers to exit
- To review the key factors, which are:
- As Business owner – your financial needs
- Business dependence – this includes how dependent you are on the business financially, and how dependent the business is on you to be a viable operation.
- Who would buy the business? What kind of buyer would find the business attractive to purchase for whatever reasons? This helps determine the strategy for selling it and identifies whether it might be more suitable to consider a management buyout or float the company.
GROOMING THE BUSINESS FOR SALE
One key question must be answered regardless of whether a transition involves family, co-owners, employees, or a third party. Ask yourself:
"Why would someone want to buy my business?”
There must be clear and compelling reasons for others to want to own your business after you have transitioned ownership.
- The maximum business value can be realized when a buyer can clearly see that the business can operate successfully, independent of the owner
- can predictably continue to generate earnings into the future.
To achieve maximum value from a transition it is important to develop a strategic plan that ensures profitability.
HOW ROCG HELPS YOU
Transition by its very nature can be disruptive if it is not managed properly. In reality, it can be a long process and in most cases will require the careful stewardship of an experienced business transition specialist. We can help you prepare a business for sale in a way that maximises the value of the business – and achieves the optimal sale price.
Contact our team to schedule a FREE callback.
MANAGING BUSINESS SALE/TRANSFER
Best practice dictates that managing the sale or transfer of a business requires a team of specialist advisors who have extensive experience and industry knowledge. Why? Because you need a team of advisors who take coordinated action in the planning and management of the process prior to exit.
HOW ROCG HELPS YOU
- By coordinating and leading the advisory team
- By tidying up the ‘private transactions’
- By ensuring current business performance is as good as possible
- By identifying/finding buyers
- By preparing historical financials and forecasts
- By preparing sales memorandums
- By negotiating the deal
- By transitioning to a ‘successor’
- Managing any post transaction issues
The outcome from this work is a Sale. As business transition specialists, we work with you every step of the way to ensure that you get the best possible outcome from that sale.